Wednesday 3 December 2014

Nostalgic Victorian Christmas

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to drop in here at this busy time of year!!
As you may know the theme this month at the Countryview Crafts Challenge blog is Nostalgic Christmas and today is the time to show you my second design team piece, - a little mini book.
Regulars will know that I love making mini books, and this time I thought I would share in more detail one of my favourite ways to make these little books, just out of one piece of 12 x 12" card stock. I used Kraft card, but any card can be used, though it's best if it is two sided card stock.

Here is how to do it:
1. Take a piece of 12 x 12 and score horizontally at 6".
2. Turn the card 90 degrees and score at 4" and 8".
3. Turn the card back to its original position and cut along the line between 1 & 4 and 3 & 6 up to the middle score line as shown on the diagram above.
4. Start folding like this: Fold panel 1 up to panel 2, then fold both behind panel 3, then fold them down to 4, then behind panel 5 and finally up to panel 6.
5. Turn it sideways so the spine is on the left, - panel 1 is single and will form part of the cover; 2 and 3 are together and can be glued at the top to make a little pocket, or glued together completely for a thicker page; panel 5 and 4 are together and can be glued at the bottom, to form another pocket, or be glued down complete again, finally panel 6 is single again and will form the back cover. If you want you can do exactly the same again to make a fatter book, but I left mine just with one piece of card and made two pockets for tags as described.

This may all sound very complicated, but really when you do it its very easy

Now to the cover:
The outside cover was made separately out of 3 bits of card:
2 bits cut to 4.25 by 6.25 for the front and the back, and a piece for the spine. The spine needs to be the same height as the book, so 4.25, and needs to be scored with about a quarter of an inch gullet to fit comfortable around the booklet, the outer ends can be as wide as you want and you can even give them a decorative edge. As this whole little book was quite ornate, I decided to keep the spine simple, it was cut to 4.25 by 2.25 and scored 1" from each side along the 2.25 side to leave a quarter " channel.

Right, that's the basic construction done you'll be glad to hear. I'll show now you pictures of how I decorated my inside pages, using bits of paper from my stash, vintage images (for the nostalgic feel) and lots of stenciling and background stamping.





Most of the stamps I used were from Tim Holtz and are all available at Countryview Crafts.
Here is the back cover still:
The little book is a gift for a friend who requested one and will soon be on its way to her.
Here are a couple of little tags still to fit inside the pockets:
The booklet closes with a ribbon that I glued down before adhering the covers to the end panels (1 and 6). I embossed the actual spine with a snow flake  embossing folder and then highlighted the raised bits with Treasure Gold.

Hope you'll pop over to Countryview Challenges and play along with us, and of course make sure you check out the fantastic projects from my team mates too!!
Have a good rest of the week and don't get too stressed, Christmas is meant to be a time of peace and joy!
xxx

44 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your little book, so pretty and full of nostalgic Christmas charm. Valerie

Deborah Wainwright said...

Beautiful little book decorated wonderfully. I can see how this could be adapted to any occasion love it d

chrissie said...

I just love this style of book Astrid and have two sheets of the card waiting to be made into them.

Yours is amazing as always.

Thank you for sharing the instructions again--I really make at least one this time

Love Chrissie x

Daniele said...

thank you for the instructions I had made one similar ages ago and forgot what I did, yours is a so nostalgic, love it
best wishes
x

Suzi B said...

I love your mini books.
Thank you for the instructions Astrid it's given me an idea for something I've been struggling with.
Suzi B xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a lovely little book, thanks for the explanation Astrid!
The tags combine so well...
Greetings, Alie :-)

Ellen said...

Dear Astrid, it is also possible to specify the sizes in cm?
I hope so !!!
They are gorgeous !!! love this style.

Hugs,
Ellenxxx

Maryann Laursen said...

Oooooooooooooooooh my goodness Astrid, this is sooooo beautiful. I absolutely LOVE it. Every page here are filled with sooo much beauty and soo much love, that you can´t do anything but love it. Thanks soo much fpor the instructions for it here too, I really have to give this a try in the new year, as it´s sooo soooo beautiful.

Suzanne C said...

Stunning!

Joan said...

Oh I just love your nostalgic book! I love traditional and vintage Christmas and this has everything . I wonder where you find all your lovely vintage images Astrid. Thanks for the instructions , I'm hoping to make a couple for friends if I get the time

Joan

Maryanne said...

I love your little book, Astrid! The theme is beautiful and the directions for making it out of a 12x12 piece of paper are very easy to follow. Wonderful!

froebelsternchen said...

An amazing nostalgic treasure booklet Astrid! BEAUTIFUL!

Ann-Marie said...

Oh my word this is just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing the instructions and is something I must have a go at. Take care, Ann-Marie xxx

massofhair said...

THANK YOU for the tutorial Astrid, as always your creations are stunning! The lady who asked for this will be so happy when she receives it :-) xxx

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous book in your special vintage style. As always I love the images, textures and embellishments. The person receiving this should be thrilled. Great tutorial as well :) Take care, Shirleyxx

Sandy said...

I have fallen in love - besides, I want to come live with your or near you. This little mini book is fantastic - and you have given a great tutorial. I am going to see if I can follow your instructions, dyslexia does not help me but I sure am going to try. Astrid I really love your blog - so inspiring and a feast for sore eyes!
Sandy xx

Chrysalis said...

Ooh, that is just so beautiful, Astrid - what a lucky friend you have! I love mini books. Thanks for sharing. Hugs xx

Netty said...

You always make these brilliantly and love this nostalgic one. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW!!! What a wonderful work of Christmas art! So old world gorgeous and elegant, each page and tag! What a treasure!

Juliz Design Post said...

Absolutely gorgeous, love Christmas crafting.
Julie x

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous book, I must find some time and make one of these.
Yvonne x

rachel said...

this is amazing astrid - such a wonderful mini book! lovely xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful vintage book Astrid ! Love all the images and the colours are gorgeous. Sue C x

Julia S-W said...

What a stunning little book this is Astrid! The cover is beautiful and the spine is gorgeous. The inside pages are a delight too and your attention to detail is supreme. Somebody is going to be very, very pleased when this drops on their doormat!
Juliaxx

Laura said...

Beautiful.. I love all the vintage details..
LAura

Pamellia said...

Wow Astrid, I don't know where to start! What an absolutely incredible Christmas project! I love every detail that you have included, down to the tags for the pockets! The gorgeous textures and colours, just so dreamy! Spectacular make and thanks for the how-to! big hugs :)

Jackie PN said...

Gorgeous Astrid!! I would hang these on my tree in a heartbeat!!
Thanks so much for always sharing! xo

Ros Crawford said...

Your book is adorable ... It never cease to amaze me what you can do with paper and paint!

May said...

Gorgeous work Astrid, your little book is full of wonderful Christmas images & I adore the texture & colours... the tutorial is fabulous Thank you for sharing... Hugs May x x

Zuzu's Blog said...

and now it is MINE!!!!!! :D

and much as it looks gorgeous on here, it is twice as gorgeous in person!!!

Marisa Job said...

Lovely Christmas mini book!!! Great pictures and instructions!!

Deb said...

Absolutely beautiful Astrid, thank you for sharing!

Terry said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend! Wow, is an understatement. This takes my breath away with each beautifully constructed page. Love this and those amazing tags! Hugs!

Redanne said...

Well, I think it has all been said! Stunning, superb, gorgeous are all words that spring to mind Astrid. I am bookmarking this so that I can have a go - thank you for your very clear instructions! Hugs, Anne xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Was für ein wunderschönes Buch, da steckt sehr viel Liebe zum Detail drin.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Such an inspiration-I love this and maybe I could use up some items from my overspilling scrap box along with some vintage images I bought recently! Thank you for the how to!!! Chrisx

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh these are all gorgeous! You've been busy!!!

artwolf2009 said...

a one of a Kind Project. You always make such wonderful things

Anonymous said...

Still playing catch-up ... Oh Astrid!! I've fallen deeply in love with this beautiful creation which was made with inspiration from your heart. (I can tell!).

Your friend is going to go crazy with joy when she sees this. Bless your beautiful heart for being such a truly lovely, incredibly talented, fabulous artist.

Sending love - (as always) ~ Cobs. x

Words and Pictures said...

Utterly lovely, Astrid - perfect vintage nostalgia, so many delightful images, and the rich jewel colours are so pretty throughout. Wow!
Alison xx

Debbie said...

This is just perfect Astrid xxxx

Robin said...

Astrid - I so enjoy seeing your creativity & what brilliant idea you will share with us next. You have given me several ideas for the upcoming holiday season. Thank you so for always encouraging us. Bless your heart.
Robin

SewPaperPaint said...

And here, reading this again makes me want to rush to the craft table and give it a go! What a great concept and such beautiful collage work, a true charmer! Thanks so much for your generous spirit in sharing the details with us all. Hugs, Autumn

Nora said...

Wow! Gorgeous Christmas book! Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key